Showing up for that meeting on time was really a feat after being stuck in traffic and not finding the building right away. Too bad you didn’t have a comb to help neaten your hair after rolling down your car window and asking for directions.
Because making the right first impression is so important in business relationships, you need to constantly look and feel professional. Outside forces, though, can interfere with your appearance and make your clients think you’re a disorganized slacker.
To look and feel your best at every business meeting, pack a small plastic box filled with essential items that you don’t carry with you. You can pack one to keep in your office and one to keep in your car. Some suggestions of items to pack are:
- Tissues. Pick up a multi-pack of the travel-size cases; they take up less space.
- Lip Balm. Dry lips can distract you and become irritating when you do so much talking.
- Laundry Detergent Pen or Wipes. Especially for those after-lunch meetings or when you’re forced to eat that jelly doughnut on the way to your meeting.
- Box of Mints. For when you’ve just eaten lunch. They also come in handy after that cup of coffee or other hot beverage.
- Deodorant. These also come in small travel sizes, so they won’t take up too much room.
- Mirror and Comb. Take a moment to spruce up your hair.